Sunday, May 24, 2009

Shaker Storage Cabinet

I needed a piece for storage in the family room games,toy's,etc . I built this Cabinet from plans in the same magazine as the Shaker wall clock. Again another shaker piece. The simplicity and simple lines are part of the appeal for me. The wood is poplar. I planed it all down from rough cut lumber with my planer.



The carcase is joined with Dado's. The face frame and doors are joined with Mortise and tenon joints. The Mortise and Tenon is an extremely old joint. It is simple to cut and very strong.

For more information on this joint see here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortise_and_tenon


The door panels are raised. The flat sides are put forward. The shakers made plain designs in there furniture. As fancy designs were considered to proud.

For more information on shaker furniture see here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaker_Furniture



Painted with milk paint and a stained Maple Top.




The adjustable shelves make it convenient and it has plenty of storage.

I had a lot of fun making this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment